Peak Rail are happy to extend the validity of issued Steam Experience vouchers with a purchase date of up to and including February 2022 until the 31st May 2023. Any vouchers not used before this date will no longer be valid, no refunds will be given. Due to the economic circumstances we regret we are unable to accept the voucher after this date.
Gift vouchers are available for these courses for 2023.
Cost for 2023 season is £360.00.
Fulfil your childhood dream… Drive a Steam Locomotive! These hugely popular courses enable you to take part in the experience of a lifetime and relive the golden age of steam.
You will drive our steam locomotive, be a fireman and find out how it all works all under the instruction and watchful eye of our qualified footplate crew.
- Locomotive will haul a brake van for one full round trip from Rowsley south station to Matlock riverside and return.
- All course tuition is given on a one to one basis with a qualified driver and fireman.
- Commemorative certificate will be given at the end of the course.
- Friends and family are encouraged to ride in the brake van as part of the experience.
- Participants must be 18 and over, reasonably fit and agile to be able to climb into the loco cab from the track level. Glasses and hearing aids are accepted.
- In case of failure of the locomotive the participant may be required to walk at least a distance of ½ mile on uneven ballast (railway track).
- Participants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Prescribed medication is acceptable provided it does not adversely affect behaviour.
- The footplate can be hot and dirty and time spent there can be arduous.
Appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn; a T shirt, shorts and trainers are NOT acceptable.
- Overalls or boiler suit are preferable, but in all cases, it is recommended that clothing made from cotton should be worn next to the skin. Man-made fibres can melt onto the skin if inadvertent contact is made with any of the hot boiler fittings.
- Stout footwear, boots (preferably steel toe cap) or walking shoes are needed – NOT trainers.