Rowsley South Station

rowsley south train station rowsley south train station

Our northern terminus was opened in 1997 and is situated on the site of the ex-LMS and British Railway locomotive depot and is about one mile to the south of the former Rowsley Station.

This extensive site set within 28 acres is the main base of all Peak Rail’s operating activities complete with a steam engine/restoration shed (not open to the public), 60ft fully operational turntable and is also the home to the various groups based at Peak Rail.

Rowsley South provides car parking for over 200 cars, toilet facilities, the Peak Rail Tea Rooms, gift shop and picnic area. There are lovely riverside walks from the station enabling passengers to visit Rowsley village itself and cyclists can make use of the newly established cycle track which runs alongside the railway line from Rowsley to Matlock.

Turntable

Situated at Rowsley Station this turntable was originally built by Cowans Sheldon and installed at Mold Junction shed during March 1937, as part of the LMS shed modernisation plan following the appointment of William Stanier as Chief Mechanical Engineer.

Following the withdrawal of steam traction in April 1966 this 60’ diameter turntable lay in situ until its removal by Peak Rail volunteers in 1987 and was initially stored at Buxton, before being transferred to Darley Dale where a team of loyal, devoted and dedicated volunteers started to undertake its restoration.

Finally restored to full working order in March 2010.