STEAM EXPERIENCE COURSES
Imagine yourself on the footplate, taking hold of the regulator, the heat of the roaring fire and steady beat of the loco under your control!
You can experience this by booking one of our very popular steam driving courses.
• Locomotive used is an 0-6-0ST without coaching stock.
• All course tuition is operated on a one to one basis with our qualified driver and fireman.
• Section of line used is between Rowsley South Station and Church Lane Crossing.
• Commemorative Certificate Please note, we can no longer offer (as advertised in our visitor guide and timetable brochure) a six month complimentary membership of the Peak Rail Association. However you will be entitled to a commemorative certificate and free all day travel on Peak Rail on the date of your course (for you and up to 6 guests).
COURSE PRICES: FEBRUARY 2018 – APRIL 2018
• The price for a one hour course is £115.00 and courses start at 9.45am
• The price for a two hour course is £200.00 and courses start at 8.45am
COURSE PRICES: MAY 2018 – APRIL 2019
• The price for a one hour course is £130.00 and courses start at 9.45am
• The price for a two hour course is £225.00 and courses start at 8.45am
Please note that to take part in these courses participants must be over 18 years of age and be reasonably fit and agile with normal intellectual abilities, with reasonable hearing and sight (glasses and hearing aids are acceptable) and without any memory impairment. Physical effort needed, as well as climbing unassisted the 6ft or so onto and off the footplate there is a vertical climb using handrails and widely spaced steps.
Participants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Prescribed medication is acceptable provided it does not adversely affect behaviour.
The footplate can be hot and dirty and time spent there can be arduous.
Appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn; a T shirt, shorts and trainers are definitely NOT acceptable. Overalls or boiler suit are preferable but in all cases it is recommended that clothing made from cotton should be worn next to the skin. Man-made fibers can melt onto the skin if inadvertent contact is made with any of the hot boiler fittings. Stout shoes or boots are needed with safety boots being preferable. A pair of gloves (Canadian rigger style) will be needed when firing and handling the controls. No toilet facilities are available on the locomotive – station toilets are approximately 15 minutes apart.
In case of failure of the locomotive the participant may be required to walk at least a distance of ½ mile on uneven ballast (railway track).
Peak Rail reserve the right to ask participants to produce a doctor’s note confirming that they are fit to undertake a Driving Experience Course as set out in the above conditions.
You can either book a specific date or purchase a gift voucher (valid for two years), making this a perfect gift for birthdays, anniversaries or any other special occasion.
For further information regarding these courses, or to make abooking, please telephone 01629 580381.
Please download booking form STEAM EXPERIENCE BOOKING FORM 2018