PEAK RAILWAY ASSOCIATION
When British Rail closed the railway north of Matlock in 1968 it seemed that this part of the former Midland Railway’s main line between Derby and Manchester was lost forever.
However in 1975 a group of railway enthusiasts put forward proposals for the re-opening of the Matlock – Buxton railway line as a heritage and community railway offering a service for both tourists and local residents, and so the Peak Rail project was born.
The principle aim of the Peak Railway Association is to provide help, support and advice to Peak Rail plc, so as to ensure the successful implementation of its proposals to reopen the former Midland Railway line through the Peak District as an independent railway. This includes raising funds for specific projects, recruiting new members and volunteers, and helping to operate the existing railway from Matlock to Rowsley. The Association is managed by its own Board of Directors including representatives from the branches and Peak Rail plc , as well as those elected by members at an Annual General Meeting. The AGM occurs once a year and every member is entitled to attend and vote and also raise any questions they may have.
- A complimentary copy of our magazine The Peak Express issued three times a year.
- Please be aware that the entitlement to free travel on Peak Rail changes with effect from 1st January 2018. Instead of being entitled to unlimited free travel you will be issued with two free tickets for 2018. Subsequent journeys will be at 50% of cost on production of your membership card. These concessions do not apply to special events where the full price or an admission charge has always applied. This change has been introduced as a result of a survey of the use of the concession by members that identified an unsustainable loss in income as a result of the unlimited availability of free travel. Free travel for working volunteers is not affected by this change.
- 10% discount off certain items in Peak Rail shops (excluding confectionary items, second hand railway books, second hand videos and dvd’s, railway memorabilia and railway models).
- 5% discount on any Bill Hudson Transport Books on sale in Peak Rail shops – for a full range of titles available visit billhudsontransportbooks.co.uk.
- FREE insurance cover when working as a volunteer on the railway.
- Please note that to receive any of the above benefits (excluding the delivery of The Peak Express) you must carry your membership card with you when visiting the railway and produce it to receive the travel concessions and discount benefits.If you wish to find out more about the Peak Railway Association Ltd, or about volunteering on the railway, then email email@example.com or telephone 07564 308418